Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Save a Song Write a Bumper Sticker, Part II

Yesterday, I saw bumper sticker that we’ve all seen. “Hang Up and Drive.” That phrase isn’t particularly funny or profound. It isn’t even slightly thought provoking, and I’ve never seen anyone heed its advice.

A few things fascinate me about bumper stickers. The most fascinating thing is that people put them on their cars. I especially love the cars with 10 or so stickers plastered all over informing me know that Joe Crook is the only intelligent voter choice. Well, with a source like that….why, how could it be wrong?

Bumper stickers also tend to prove stereotypes. I know stereotypes are not a popular thing to notice, but let’s face the truth here. If there were not truth to stereotypes, then there would be no stereotypes (let’s save THAT for another day).


So, when I see a “Guns Save Lives, Maybe Yours” bumper sticker, I have got to see the redneck driving. (Sorry, Steve) When I see a “My child is an honor student at…” nobody is really interested in that.

But, blah, blah, blah and stuff. The reason this “Hang Up and Drive” bumper sticker was great is that I looked over at as I passed by the car; I look over to see the chick yakking on her cell phone.

1 comment:

shayne said...

It doesn't bother me that they are tacky. I'm a big fan of all things tacky. The sticker bearer is simultaneously making a statement and destroying any credibility s/he could have possibly--although unlikely--had for making a statement. I think that while I strongly support individuals' rights to make statements, I am annoyed when they do. Does any of this count as irony?

Sara (keeper of the World's Greatest Blog), those are fine bumper stickers! I encourage you to embrace those stereotypes as I embrace mine!