Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Ballad of Detroit Louie

The Ballad of Detroit Louie
(Shayne Seymour and Scott Parry, © 2003, 2005)
Hear the mp3 at www.shayneseymour.com

Asleep at the bar
Propped up on his stool
Like a sentinel guarding
The dreams of a fool
I fed the juke box,
Then I asked for the chalk.
He awoke to the Saint
"On a Sunday morning sidewalk."

He said, "My name is Louie
Detroit Louie. Can I buy you a beer?
I've lived in Salida for about
Six lonely years.
I've hiked the Rainbow
And the Colorado Trails
But since my brother left
My life's been a living hell."

Detroit Louie I hear you talking
But what the hell are you trying to say
Don't you know that the harder you look for love
The farther you drive it away
You ain't going to find freedom
Out there throwing away the past
The pain is going to hang on to you as long
As you hang on to that glass.

He kept singing "Desperado"
Saying it's not too late.
I ought to let somebody love me
Life's too short to wait.
He lit another Lucky Strike
And it fell to the floor
I asked the bar for another round
He said Louie can't have no more

"I've got ten drinks down;
I've got six balls up
Yeah, we're well on our way.
If this stick's just half as bent as me, man
Then I'm going to be OK.
Boys, my time is running out
And my bottle's running dry."
He's just trying to finda familiar place too hide.

He came from Detroit
With just his dog by his side.
He's giving away all of his memories
As he waits here to die.
Head hanging low while cradling a beer.
Louie when will you ever learn
That it is life that you fear.

2 comments:

blanca said...

Wow! Sounds great bro!

Me likes!

shayne said...

Thank you for your blanca compliment!