Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sans Sugar: Day 1

I had my yearly physical yesterday. My first in four years. A few minutes before I fainted, my doctor and I talked about my weight. She told me I needed to work exercise into my schedule no matter how busy I think I am. For those of you keeping score, she is right.

"Well, you're definitely not over weight," she said. "You are in good shape. Just for your record though, you are five pounds heavier than you were in March."

Did she just compliment me, then take it back?

Then she asked me about salt. Do I use much? Do I add extra to my food.

"No. No salt."

"What is your weakness?"

Damn it. She can see right through me. "Sweets. Chocolate," I replied.

"So how much to you have? Maybe something every day or so?"

Great. She's disgusted with me AND I'm probably diabetic. "Lots. Like a few times every day. I just need chocolate."

Busted.

Finally.

She doen't understand though. Her job is easy. If she had my job, she'd understand. We can't drink at work. She won't prescribe me any more Ultracet. The only other thing I have is Chocolate and Dr. Pepper.
Surely I jest. Shirley?

So I decided yesterday morning, a few minutes after I fainted, that I am going to cut down on my sweets. No more of my sweet, intoxicating, energy-boosting, mood-saving life-giving chocolate. I also decided that I will start exercising. New Year's Resolution? Maybe. I haven't really made any for this year. Which reminds me, I need to make my New Year's Resolutions for this year.

Yesterday wan't too bad. The cravings weren't bad. They weren't really even cravings, but I had some carbs from the weekends leftovers. When the leftovers are gone, the carbs are gone. Well, except for the 20 boxes of TurrĂ³n my mother-in-law sent us for Christmas.

In addition, I've stopped eating by 7:00pm every night but one since January 1. I'm doing well there.

Wish me luck!

No comments: