Monday, August 23, 2004

WAKE UP!!!!

I've got this high-powered miracle of technology that is supposed to make my life easier, my work more efficient, and blah, blah, crap.

I get to work today and spend the first 30 minutes deleting SPAM and Worm e-mails. I thought that my life and work were going to get easier and more efficient.

Now, because of Microsoft’s miracle cure for all of it's own security oversights, the company for which I work expects to me spend MORE time sitting behind a computer screen working harder to try to convince ourselves we're ok telling our clients there are no problems. I'm doing this while our support department is taking call after call asking how to make our software work with XP Service Pack 2. How is life better for any of us?

Everyone I know is working way too much unpaid over time at some job selling or servicing some type of technology. They are tired, stressed and grumpy and wasting their lives away with a monitor in their face and somewhat less underpaid bosses on their backs.

How many of my two readers have some sort of repetitive stress injury from sitting behind the computer too long?

Is there no one who will stop and take a look around and see that this thing is making our lives worse? I wish I was just some whiner crying for my own self-pity, but I’m not. Next time you’re in a mall or restaurant or wherever, look at everyone’s posture. We’re all a bunch of slouching, computer-necked lemmings who don’t spend enough time outdoors and who don’t spend enough time with family and friends.

I’m just rambling… OH, wait. This is my blog. I’m SUPPOSED to ramble.

No comments: